Thursday, September 13, 2012

Miscellaneous thoughts

I have super random stuff to talk about, so just putting a warning out that this post has no order or organization. First of all I FINALLY made it to Ikea after all this time. And let me tell you, it lived up to the hype. Why have I never been to an American IKEA!? WHY!!?? Kat and I spent way too much time trying out chairs and futons and generally being awkward, but that store is magical. Also, the food there is SO CHEAP! If I lived closer I'd probably stop by there everyday for a 10 Kroner hot dog. For those who don't know the conversion, that's not even 2 dollars. I did get an ice cream cone though. Only 8 Kroner? How could I pass that up? An ice cream from another place can be up to 35 Krones. Definitely worth it.

Second thought of the day time. I just finished a memoir, The Road of Lost Innocence, by Somaly Mam, for my Human Trafficking class here at DIS and I'm now putting out a general recommendation for everyone to read it. Sure, it's not the most uplifting book of all time...actually you'll be kind of depressed by the end, but it is just such an important topic, and such a moving and eye opening book, I just can't help but pass it on. This woman is absolutely incredible and her story is unbelievable so I seriously recommend you take a read. You won't regret it. Plus you'll learn a little about a subject most people only kind of know about...including myself. I'm not going to lie, most of my facts about human trafficking came from Taken, which was a good movie, don't get me wrong, but not altogether accurate.  So here you go, I mean what else do you have to do in your spare time but read about other people's hellish lives? Yeah, that's right, I'd thought you'd say nothing.




No comments:

Post a Comment