Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Oops, I'm in Copenhagen

Oh hey, I'm in Denmark. Muy weird. Sorry, I just can't shake the Spanish. So it's been a few days now and I can't possibly recap everything, so here's just a general overview about the city so far. I live really close to the city center, actually. It's about a 10-15 minute walk for me to get to the main shopping streets, and maybe five more to get to my classes. From what I've seen, the city is beautiful! It kinda has a Parisy type look to it I suppose. Kinda, not really. It's hard to describe. Very European though. I love being right in the city and can't wait to explore more of it. Turns out there is a castle really close to where I live. Um, cool. And even though I can't see it from my room, there is a riverish thing right outside my building with a beautiful walkway. Prime location aqui.

The backside of my building, yo.
The Danes themselves are pretty much what I expected. Quiet, blonde, BEAUTIFUL. Seriously, these people aren't normal. I think this entire country was created by super models. They also dress amazingly well. Women both young and old are riding around on their bikes in dresses and nice shoes, all while looking beautiful. Come Saturday I'll be doing the same thing, except sweaty and tired looking. It seems like everyone rides bikes here, which seems like such a great way to get around...and to stay healthy. I'm not surprised all the Danes are skinny too. So no diabetes here, just cirrhosis and lung cancer. No big. Anyways, even though I've heard the Danish people were a little cold, most people seem really friendly and willing to help. I've asked at least a million people for directions and even asked a woman today if I was holding milk (turns out yogurt containers look strangely like milk). Thankfully, everyone I've asked and come across speaks fluent English, so no real challenges there. I can't read most signs or food labels, but hey, that's what pictures are for right? Let's just make the milk a little more clear next time, Denmark. Despite everyone seeming relatively friendly, no one makes small talk, which is kind of hard to get used to. It's especially strange that the Danes don't smile at each other. You know, you walk into a train/subway/just randomly make eye contact with someone, you smile. Apparently that's not how it works here. I didn't realize just how much I do that until I came here and catch myself just smiling at people. Sorry if I scared you with my American ways, people.

I really like the city so far, and DIS seems really on top of things here and really encourage us to jump head first into getting to know our way around the city. Seriously, the made us find our own ways from day one. But anyways, classes start Thursday, and it will be interesting to see how those work, and if I can find my way around.

Big news of the day: I went grocery shopping. It was horrible. Ok, maybe not, but maybe yes. I went to the cheaper store first because my food stipend works there, buuuuuut that place is like Ocean State Job Lot, The Dollar Tree, and Market Basket all jumbled together to make one mess of an awful store. But it's cheap so I guess I'll suck it up. After a while I got sick of the crowds and the mess and went next door to super nice Irma, which is more expensive but like walking into a luxurious palace after Netto. I'm still trying to maneuver this whole cooking for myself business, but I'll manage somehow. I'd be more adventurous if I had my own kitchen to work with, but sharing a kitchen and having limited space to put stuff makes the cooking simple. But I have faith, kind of.


University of Copenhagen...I pretty much live on campus. 





Pedestrian walkway near school

No comments:

Post a Comment